2009 | 54mins | Colour
By Mieke Bal & Andrea Seligmann Silva
Portuguese, English and Dutch with English subtitles.
When migration runs in the family, a traumatic history looms
In this autobiographical film, a diasporic Brazilian family is reunited in São Paulo.
All five siblings, at one time or another, have established themselves abroad. While exploring the reasons behind this connection to the foreign in her family, Andréa, a filmmaker living in Amsterdam, interviews the members of her family. They all evoke a psychotic crisis their mother had five years ago. So Andréa begins to focus her inquiry on what took place then, as well as on that crisis’ connection to the traumatic events of a generation ago.
Edith, Andréa’s Jewish mother, was three years old when her parents escaped from Nazi Germany in 1939. The question of the migratory now turns both backwards and forwards, and danger becomes as potent a motive as the attraction to foreign places.
Separations has been selected for several international film festivals, including:
• the Bright Future program of the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2010.
• Belo Horizonte International Film Festival, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, October 24, 2010
• Outubro Indepente Festival, São Paulo, Brazil, October 12, 2010
• Warsaw Film Festival, Warsaw, Poland, 8 – 11 October, 2010
• International Women’s Film Festival, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 9 – 10 June 2010
• “It’s All True”: International Documentary Film Festival, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 9 – 18 April, 2010
15 euro for the DVD and please add 8 euro for shipping
To acquire a DVD, you can make a donation to my current film project. You then send an e-mail to Mieke.G.Bal@gmail.com with the address where you wish the DVD to be sent. Please also include the details of your transfer (bank account no., name and date of transfer).
Gustav Mahlerlaan 10
1082 PP Amsterdam