2007 | 20mins | Colour
By Mieke Bal & Gary Ward
Genre: Experimental Documentary
Spanish with English subtitles
Murcia, in the South of Spain, is one of those cities where many immigrants arrive. This city is the setting of _Un trabajo limpio_ (A Clean Job), a looped video of twenty minutes. Wherever you enter the video, someone will be talking: about school and the point of studying; sports and other hobbies; boyfriends and girlfriends; language and work; residence permits and places to stay; Spain and the country of origin. And, of course, about migration.
Each speaker says something brief but incisive, then, loosely associated, the next statement comes in. The resulting fabric is not a narrative. Rather, as a dialogue fabricated by montage, or an alternation of different view points, the video is best seen as a prose-poem. The loop gives form to the non-linearity and non-hierarchy of the situation presented. It also diffuses the notion that a single idea concerning migratory culture can meaningfully be proposed.
10 euro for the DVD and please add 8 euro for shipping
To acquire a DVD, you can make a donation to my current film project, Reasonable Doubt. You then send an e-mail to Mieke.G.Bal@gmail.com with the address where you wish the DVD to be sent. Please also include the details of your transfer (bank account no., name and date of transfer).
Gustav Mahlerlaan 10
1082 PP Amsterdam
- Royal Dutch Institute Rome (KNIR), Interculturality Week, 8 October 2015
- Cine Tonalá, Retrospectiva Fílmica Mieke Bal, 18 January 2015
- U-Theatre, Studio, University of Utrecht, Postcolonial Initiative, February 21, 2012-02-22
- Exhibition “Towards the Other,” curated by Anna Bitkina and Maria Veits. Saint Petersburg, Russia, Museum of the History of Saint Petersburg, Peter and Paul Fortress. October 10-29, 2011 (with catalogue)
- Exhibition “The Last Frontier / La última frontera: Video works by Mieke Bal, in collaboration with Michelle Williams Gamaker and Others,” Curated by Miguel Ángel Hernández Navarro, February 3 - March 29, 2011 (with catalogue)
- Exhibition “Going the Distance: Video Works in Migratory Aesthetics.” Tampere Art Museum, Tampere, Finland, December 5, 2008 – February 15, 2009
- Exhibition“Going the Distance: Video Works in Migratory Aesthetics.” Fremantle Fibonacci Centre, Fremantle, Australia, December 12 – 21, 2008
- Exhibition “2Move: Ireland,” Belfast, Belfast Exposed and Navan, Solstice Arts Centre, May 3 – June 2, 2008
- Exhibition “2MOVE/ Migratory Aesthetics,” Stenersen Museet, Oslo, Norway, March 27 – May 11, 2008 (with catalogue)
- Exhibition “2MOVE Migratie + Video,” Zuiderzeemuseum, Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, September 20, 2007 – January 6, 2008 (with catalogue)
- Exhibition “2MOVE: Estéticas Migratorias,” Sala Verónicas and Centro Párraga, Murcia, Spain, March 8 – May 13, 2007 (with catalogue)